Thursday, May 19, 2011

Helping Others, Your Way

I have felt others pain. I mean that I actually feel pain when others hurt themselves in my presence. I don't know why. I don't like it, I don't want it, and will do anything to avoid watching others injure themselves. Funniest Home Video's is often not funny to me, as someone falls off a horse, bicycle or skateboard. I feel the pain myself.

I was watching a Michael J Fox movie the other night, and his 'love interest' drank too much liquor, and got sick by the side of the road. Michael, also started to get sick, and she reminded him that he had not been drinking. He told her it did not matter, he was a 'sympathy sick.' That's what you call someone who gets sick at the sight, sound or smell of someone else getting sick. I have that same affliction, but I will spare you the details and stories.

Having survived a few hurricanes in Florida, I often think about those who face the aftermath of a major catastrophic event, and the pain they must feel. Haiti, Japan, Tuscaloosa and Joplin, just to name a few. Fortunately I have not seen them actually injured, so I don't feel their actual pain, like I mentioned. But, looking at the destruction and loss of life, none of us can help but feel something for them. What disappoints me is that I don't often act on that feeling. If someone needs my help, I will give it. If someone asks me to contribute to a needy cause, I often do that. But once the victims leave the media spotlight, I forget about them. I think we all allow ourselves to forget their pain.

I am not admonishing you, more than myself, I am giving you food for thought. Obviously I cannot solve all the aches and pains of the injured, nor will my pain, ease theirs, but I can try to help some.

I recently heard a quote: "The things you do for yourself are gone when you are gone, but the things you do for others remain as your legacy." Kalu Kalu.


I like to volunteer. I will not list the things I personally do to volunteer to help others, it shouldn't matter. What I do, may not be something you can or like to do. I ask you to consider finding your own way to help others. There's no wrong way to give of yourself, your time, your money or some combination of each. It does not matter how, so long as you do something. What I am suggesting is that you find a way, even the smallest way, to consistently help those in need, and not just because they are in the news. Consider it pay back for the ones long past, in the news, where you did not help.

We are a large world population, and if we all do a little bit on a regular basis, it will pick away at the overwhelming pile of need. Please find something you like to do, or something that makes you feel good. This will motivate you to continue doing it. It would be a sad life to record, if we died and the only thing left to show, for our life, was a pile of accumulated stuff. Wouldn't you rest easier, if you felt your life meant something? If you could say, "I did what I could, I actually made a small difference." I promise it will be something you actually look forward to doing, and those receiving it will, as well.

No comments: